Tuesday 3 May 2011

Axel Pressbutton

Another Weekly Themed Art Blog contribution, the brief being 'Non-2000ad UK comic characters'. I first came across Axel Pressbutton (the psychotic cyborg) in the superb Warrior anthology comic which launched in 1982. Writen by Steve Moore and brilliantly drawn by Steve Dillon. The character first appeared in 1979, created by Pedro Henry (Steve Moore) and Curt Vile (Alan Moore). The full title of the original series was 'Dempster Dingbunger is my name, Sputwang is my nation, the depths of space gob in my face… the stars my degradation'. This image turned out to be so labour intensive I missed the blog deadline. 

1 comment:

  1. I have one of these stories in some anthology I picked up back in the eighties, in it a motley group of mercenaries are hired to steal the Living Heart of the Universe, I think the same magazine had the Foozle in it, an excellent comic that seems to have been ruined by bad writing. I just ran across Pressbutton today and his appearance and hatred of vegetation jogged my memory. I never even heard of Warrior, which shows how out of it I was back in the day re. comics.

    ReplyDelete